Thursday, July 5, 2007

Jonathan Quayle Higgins & the End of Days

Okay, so I've been mum for a long time now, courtesy of work, family vacation, and a complete and utter absence of ideas. But you have to give the people what they want and I've heard from not ONE but TWO people that they want me to start blogging again. TWO people. That's exactly twice the number of people who care what happened to the guy who played Higgins on Magnum P.I. You can't ignore your public...nor can you fake the funk on a nasty dunk, but that's a different blog.

En route to work this morning, I merged onto I-69 *snort, giggle* and felt my spine ice over. Something wasn't right. I flipped off BBC World Service News, wondering if I was having some weird episode of post-Independence Day jingoist rage (British news people are bossy). Didn't work...still felt weird. Then I looked around--and I mean actually, physically rotated my body to check beside and behind my moving car since the rearview mirror keeps falling off of my windshield--and I realized what was so strange. There were no other cars. Nada. 8:45am on what is [according to my crack 20-second bout of Internet research] the worst interchange in the city. The traffic in this 3-exit stretch is usually bad enough to commute my 20-minute drive to a 45-minute @#!-fest. But this morning? No one. In four lanes. And then it hit me. I knew why I was alone.

Armageddon.

Angels had just poured seven bowls of the wrath of God all over the 12th largest city in America and I ducked it, simply, by rethinking my shoe selection and going back inside to change. Today just said "kitten heels." And kitten heels, it seems, say "end-of-days repellent." I always knew, deep down, that my rabid insecurities would end up saving my life. When the rivers run red, I mused, I will be sitting, safe and sound, in a parking garage wondering if I made enough eye contact with the parking attendant or if he thought I was rude.

Feeling rather proud of myself--you know, for being one of the last people on Earth and all--I continued on to work. Sure, I noticed a proliferation of cars once I got on the parkway, but I didn't waver. Low self-esteem is surely our national disease. Perhaps all of these people thought twice about what they packed for lunch or whether or not a black cardigan plays in July. I'm by no means a religious woman but even I know that the meek shall inherit the Earth.

But as I neared my office, I grew increasingly unsettled. There were people EVERYWHERE. And many of them swaggered in such a way that you knew they never second-guessed anything (even when it might behoove them to do so...I'm talking to YOU, Acid Wash Wally). Why are they still here? What are all of these people doing in my post-Apocalyptic playground?

My heart beat in my throat as I trudged up the stairs. If the saintly folks who work down the hall from me aren't around, I thought, then my fate was sealed. Finding the south wing of the 4th floor full of little more than empty recycling bins and tumbleweeds, I felt faint. I hadn't missed Armageddon. I'd missed the Rapture. Kirk Cameron and all of his friends have been saved and here I sit. On the upside: from what I can tell from my XM, all of the on-air talent at E! was also left behind. At least I won't get lonely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY! Molly is back!

I just knew kitten heels would save us all...