Thursday, June 26, 2008

"So, this is Planet Houston."

For the two geeks--and I mean that in the nicest way possible--currently snickering at the blog title, I salute you. I think, though, that the three of us need to get some perspective.

Anyway: tonight the OBC (ol' ball and chain) and I went to see Get Smart. Not bad at all. Love Steve Carell, smell what The Rock is cooking, Anne Hathaway wore some fabulous clothes, quality cameos, etc. But what (or, I suppose, who) made the movie? Terence Stamp. Terence freaking Stamp plays the villain in Get Smart.

If you're unfamiliar with British actor Terence Stamp...well, first, I weep for you but next I direct you to think back to (or Netflix) Superman II and, the greatest villain to ever get trapped in a galactic hand mirror: General Zod. In Superman II, General Zod, his friendly giant and some ESP-happy chick who looked a little bit like Pat Benatar are Kryptonian criminals who Superman accidentally frees to run amok on Earth. Seriously. They toss people around, choke yokels, and chew scenery. Great stuff. And Terence Stamp (bless his clasically-trained, Oscar-nominated little heart) went the way of Alec Guinness in Star Wars and Donald Pleasence in Halloween. "I'm sure I can wear black rubbery tights and say 'Kneel before Zod' without Comic-Con bound devotees remembering me, only, for this little dalliance."

Not so fast, Terence.

Seriously, how do I explain my love for Terence Stamp and his hilarious awesomeness in Superman II? How do you quantify the geeked-out glee of Googling a man and getting results that begin with super-cool caveats like "With all due respect to Ian McKellan's Magneto?"

There are no words, only YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKDFop0aqYQ

2 comments:

CW5H2O said...

I'm not sure I'm okay with Houston being what an alien race takes for a representation of all of Earth...even an evil alien bent on death and destruction...I mean really, Houston?

Anonymous said...

Zod for President!